Forum
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
DC Roe

Reply with quote  #1 
I'm not trying to open up a political can of worms, but I'm wondering what others think of the controversy brewing over this year's Hugo awards.
katie78

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Roe
I'm not trying to open up a political can of worms, but I'm wondering what others think of the controversy brewing over this year's Hugo awards.

i love a good political can of worms but i don't know about it...

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie78
i love a good political can of worms but i don't know about it...

Rather than editorialize I'll just drop a link to an explanation...

How Sci-Fi’s Hugo Awards Got Their Own Full-Blown Gamergate

Kristopia

Reply with quote  #4 
I think it's sad - and I think it's going to be the ruination of the Hugos unless they change their rules about how to change their rules and put the kibosh on it. The originators of this have very close ties to the Gamergate bunch, and many of the nominees are themselves, their buddies, or the authors they publish through their own houses. What bothers me the most is that they overtly did this because they were annoyed that more women, minorities and ***gasp! Say it ain't so!*** LITERARY sci fi books were nominated in a previous year. It upset their middle aged white guy sensibilities.  The irony that they are trying to say that they are the ones standing up for diversity astounds me.

A thread about this on another forum turned into a batch of "puppy" supporters virtually overrunning the women and minorities who were expressing their discontent. Even though that forum has been very helpful for learning about self-publishing, cover design and other things for me, I now have a sour taste in my mouth for going back there at all. 

It politicizes things - which is sad - rather than a focus on the literature itself, it has become a political thing, where people are encouraged to vote for authors who share the same political views rather than on the works themselves.
katie78

Reply with quote  #5 
that link was interesting, thanks. what does winning a hugo award mean for an author?

"What bothers me the most is that they overtly did this because they were annoyed that more women, minorities and ***gasp! Say it ain't so!*** LITERARY sci fi books were nominated in a previous year. It upset their middle aged white guy sensibilities.  The irony that they are trying to say that they are the ones standing up for diversity astounds me."

i have noticed this in american culture these days- the straight christian white man sees himself as the most oppressed member of society. it's the fox news 'war on christmas' and the 'religious freedom' law in indiana. reverse racism is the only kind you can talk about. the idea is that not being allowed to oppress and silence others IS oppression.

Reply with quote  #6 
Yes, Katie - obviously we have a much more enlightened set of menfolk at Today's Author. [smile] But that whole mindset is becoming more and more polarized in many areas - I'm aggravated that it is now pushing into writing/authorship as well.  And yes, that is exactly the "platform" that this "sadpuppies" group is using to justify their skewing the vote for the Hugos - that they are being somehow "oppressed" by those that they are oppressing.

Meanwhile, the Hugos can actually make a career in the spec ifc/sci fi world - perhaps not anymore, since nominations this time have been so heavily skewed by the sad and rapid puppies.  It's a shame.
DC Roe

Reply with quote  #7 
The 2015 Hugo Awards were handed out last night.

The big story is that the "Sad Puppy" slate of authors didn't win anything.  To my mind that's a good thing--that an avowed vote rigger wasn't able to ruin the awards.  However there are still a slew of smaller storylines where the trolls were able to affect the results--including two worthy nominees who withdrew their works because they were unwittingly included on the Sad Puppy slate of nominees.

I'm interested to see how the voting process will/may change.  I've always appreciated the quality of the Hugo winners and I'm still a little concerned that era is over.

That this was all brought about by a group of people who think sci-fi should be decidedly male and white is still something that deeply disturbs me.
Kristopia

Reply with quote  #8 
Wired did a really good article about the results (and the people affected on all sides): 

http://www.wired.com/2015/08/won-science-fictions-hugo-awards-matters/
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 6,235 other followers

%d bloggers like this: