Forum

Author   Comment  
katie78

Reply with quote  #1 
whether i choose first or third person, present or past tense- nearly all of my books are in multiple point of view. by switching the perspective, i can tell the story from different angles so that only the reader sees all of it.

how do you decide how to tell the story?

Reply with quote  #2 
"How do you decide..."

Haha... that would make it sound like *I* decide at all.  Maybe it's just me, but when I'm writing, the characters pretty much tell me what to do. 

I've written a few things where the perspective changes from one character to another. I usually end up getting confused at one point or another during that process.  I've written quite a few first-person POV stories, too.  Mainly I write in third person. 

When it's done well, I really enjoy the multiple POV works. One example might be Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game" and "Ender's Shadow", which tell the same story (basically), but from two very different characters. I had my doubts when I picked up "Ender's Shadow", but reading that book made me like the original even more. 
Kristopia

Reply with quote  #3 
Mainly I'm most comfortable writing from a first person pov. I've written with multiple povs before, but I get myself confused, so I tend to go back to one person. [smile]
Rob Diaz

Reply with quote  #4 
I have actually written a few stories where I wrote them in third person, then rewrote in first...then rewrote again in third.  Each draft had a stronger focus, but it never came around to feeling "right"...
Eric R. Jackson

Reply with quote  #5 
I've come to appreciate limited third but not after writing a few stories in first-person.  A lot of people make the assumption you need to be in a character's head to be intimate with them.   

When I started writing Two Destroyers I initially wrote it from a single POV, but as I poked through the revisions (IE completely re-writing it!) I realized my MC was potentally more interesting from a few steps away.  Eventually I settled on four POVs and noticed sometimes it was more fun to 'feature' characters in chapters where they weren't in the driver seat.

It felt natural, as people tend to bare themselves around friends and family.  Instead of the familiar trap of 'time to teach the reader a little something about character X'.    

Perhaps it's the voyeristic tendencies of people that makes limited third feel so right rather than being shackled 'inside' of the character you're peeping in on their life and thoughts.  

One thing about multi povs.  I think it's important to resist the authorial tendency to switch so the reader learns a specific thing, rather than switching because the current 'event' is interesting.  It sounds like it's the same thing, but it's really not.   The former drives the story by some lofty outside influence yanking the character by the collar while the latter builds the illusion of choice:  the characters make descisions and take action that drives them forward.   When faced with a situation where they have no choice, they'll likely become unruly, and this unruliness can be used to proper effect of course, but the resistance will reach critical mass at some point.

If the reader picks up on this and they identify the POV is acting out of character, they may be thrown out of their immersion or worse, stop reading.

I think this is why the 'let the character write the story' approach is so powerful.

Just my two cents.

KINGLESS COUNTRY --A young swordswoman leads the charge to save her country from its greatest threat-- itself.
First Draft Complete @ 150k words / Polishing

Dimanagul.com
katie78

Reply with quote  #6 
yes. i find close third can be just as tight as first.

Reply with quote  #7 
My current series is written in first person. I find it works for this particular story and audience. Future books will probably vary. 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 6,235 other followers

%d bloggers like this: