Forum

Author   Comment  
Rob Diaz

Reply with quote  #1 
So, I'm a Starbucks guy. I'm there almost every day, I have the gold card, etc. I really only get coffee there except for when my gold card earns me a free drink...that's when I get the $9 latte's with all the fancy flavors and the extra shots of espresso. 

I'll drink coffee at Dunkin Donuts, of course, because...well, coffee.  But I've always found their coffee to be weak (even before I started drinking coffee at Starbucks).  The bigger issue for me, though, is that if I'm sitting in a coffee shop to write, I find the ambiance and layout of a typical Starbucks to be more conducive to this than that which you'd find at a typical Dunkin Donuts. 

To be honest, though, the best coffee shop environments I've found have been in the local, non-chain cafes.  There aren't many around where I live, but when I've traveled and have had the opportunity to go and sit in a local cafe, I've found it to be both comfortable and inspiring.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?
Lithakate

Reply with quote  #2 
I like going to our local Christian bookstore where they have cafe. I'd go every day, but it gets a bit expensive. What I love about it is that I know my computer is perfectly safe to leave on the table if I want to go for a walk to stretch my legs. I have a favourite table in the corner near a power point so I can recharge if I need to. It's a good place to sit and write because it's fairly quiet but you can still pick up snippets of conversations and watch interaction between people. They have free internet (if a little slow) and the food is quite reasonably priced.

Their coffees are pretty good, and the second and any subsequent ones are $1 cheaper. I have a rewards card that gives me a free coffee after every 6th purchase. They also have a system of "suspended coffees" where you can pay for a coffee (or more if you want) for someone who comes in off the street and can't afford one. They have enough people donate so they have around 30 suspended coffees a week.

It's much easier to work there than at home where there are far too many distractions and too much noise [smile]

Reply with quote  #3 
Rob,  If your coffee habits = yin then mine would definitely be yang.  While I don't hate coffee it's certainly not something I drink unless it's cold out, I'm going to be outside, and I have no other hot beverage options.  In the last 5 years or so I probably have 1 cup per year.  But I like Starbucks over Dunkin because A) some Starbucks have Red Bull and B) if I'm at Dunkin I will eat donuts.

As far as writing atmosphere, certainly the coffee shops have a better vibe than Dunkin, but I'd rather find a less than busy diner where I can get a sandwich and iced tea with free refills.
Kristopia

Reply with quote  #4 
I never liked Starbucks coffee much - tastes burned. I like the "cafe" at home, where my husband makes me coffee even though he doesn't like it himself. [wink]  If I want a change of perspective, we have two local coffee shops within very short walking distance of our apartment that have wifi and good funky atmospheres.
katie78

Reply with quote  #5 
it has to be dunkins because of the donuts.

i grew up in new hampshire where there's a dunkins on every corner. now i live in tucson where the entire city only has three!

i have not had a fix in months. 

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 6,235 other followers

%d bloggers like this: