Forum
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
katie78

Reply with quote  #1 
whenever i hit a writing rut, i think the best thing to do is read something good. right now i am rereading 'the whole world  over' by julia glass. she is one of my all  time favorite authors and it has probably been about a decade since i last read this one. it is familiar but not so much that it bores.

what are you reading?

does anyone have favorite books they reread?

Reply with quote  #2 
I do have a few books that I reread occasionally/often.  "Red Thunder" and "Steel Beach" by John Varley are the two that top that list--he's a master storyteller, and the first person narratives that he writes should be used to teach how to do it.  My other go-tos lean toward farce/humor--"Hitchhiker's Guide", "To Say Nothing of the Dog"...

Right now, because of Pratchett's recent death, I'm rereading some of the Discworld novels and catching up on some that I've not gotten around to.
Lithakate

Reply with quote  #3 
I have several favourite books I reread from time to time. At the moment, I'm reading Operation Alpha Papa for the 7-8th time. It's part of the Operation series by Australian YA author DJ Stutley. My editor recommended it about two years ago as an example of excellent POV writing. 

Reply with quote  #4 
I'm actually in the midst of reading a book of short stories by a Today's Author Alumnus, Tony Noland.  It's called "Blood Picnic and Other Stories" and I'm enjoying it a lot.  It's fantasy and horror and scifi and magic and realism and...well, lots of fun.

As for favorites that I read and re-read all the time... pretty much anything Isaac Asimov wrote falls into that category for me, but especially the "Foundation" series.  Similarly, I can re-read any of the works of Douglas Adams.
Kristopia

Reply with quote  #5 
I'm currently in the throes of having gone back to grad school (Literature), so my reading materials are primarily confined currently to The Round House by Louise Erdrich (excellent book), Beloved by Toni Morrison (creepy and depressing, but oh what a beautiful writer she is), and modern theater.

When I want to relax, I read primarily YA speculative fiction...some adult stuff, too. I especially love books set in post-apocalyptic worlds or dystopias. 
nimrod

Reply with quote  #6 
I am going through a phase of reading American authors such as Philip Roth and also like Terry Pratchett, which I have been reading on a random basis with the latest novels first and I have only just started The Clour of Magic which was his first published novel.
I am a member of the local writers' club in Nottingham and have also been attending W.E.A. and other classes which I am finding interesting.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 6,235 other followers

%d bloggers like this: